Antonio Pedro De Alves, who is originally from Portugal, had even married a Brazilian woman after fleeing the UK in May 2013 A British-based child rapist who went on the run has been arrested 5,000 miles away in Brazil after a three-year manhunt.
Portuguese national Antonio Pedro De Alves had been leading a secret life after arriving in South America.
The 44-year-old had even married a Brazilian woman.
He had fled the UK just days before his trial at Stafford Crown Court in May 2013.
De Alves was convicted of raping the 12-year-old girl and sentenced to 11 years in his absence.
An international arrest warrant was later issued by Interpol after being alerted by Staffordshire Police and West Midlands Crown Prosecution Service.
And on May 11 the rape fugitive was finally arrested in his new home city, the stunning beach resort of Jaboatao dos Guararapes.
Alves was arrested by the Federal Police and remanded into custody. He now faces extradition back to the UK where he will complete his jail sentence.
He may also face further charges after fleeing the UK, where he had left behind a wife.
Alves was living in Rugeley, Staffordshire, when he first contacted his young victim via the social media website Bebo, claiming to be a sports-loving 15-year-old.
Over months he groomed the youngster online and eventually convinced her to meet up at a supermarket car park in Cannock.
But when the schoolgirl arrived Alves claimed he was a relative of the 15-year-old boy, who he said had asked him to meet her because he was running late.
The youngster was immediately suspicious and tried to flee, but Alves pulled her into his car where the attack took place.
The schoolgirl reported the attack to police in December 2011 and Alves was arrested the following January and his computers seized.
He was charged in January 2013 and appeared at court, but was granted bail. He fled abroad shortly before his trial.
Sources close to the family have confirmed the arrest.
The victim’s mum had previously said: “The police investigation from the very beginning seemed slow and it has all been such a long, drawn out process.
“We couldn’t believe he was allowed bail after being charged, as he was a foreign national who could easily slip abroad.
“My daughter has been so brave. We are all so proud of her but she deserves justice.”
Staffordshire Police said officers followed intelligence and leads and in early September 2014 Alves was tracked down to Brazil.
The force, in conjunction with the UK National Crime Agency, worked with Brazilian colleagues to secure his re-arrest and remand in custody.
Detective Constable Jason Reaney, from the Fugitive and Extradition Unit with Staffordshire Police said: “Firstly, I have to commend the courage and patience of the victim of this horrendous crime and the wider family.
"Like Staffordshire Police, they have always wanted to continue the hunt for Alves to ensure he was tracked down and brought to justice.
"It’s been a while coming, but by working closely together, we have our man!
“What I hope comes across strongly in this case is that time and distance has made no difference in the outcome for Alves.
"We knew we would finally track him down and we knew this would become a world-wide hunt. We await the ruling from the Brazilian Supreme Court.”