Fleeing 15-year-old murder suspect re-arrested

ShareShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

A 15-year-old murder suspect, Gift Edosomwan, who escaped from the Edo State Children Remand Home at Ugbekun in Benin, has been re-arrested along with an accomplice.  The suspect was said to have been arrested at about 12am on Monday. 

It was reported on Monday that Edosomwan was arrested for allegedly killing a 28-year-old woman, Mrs. Itohan Enagbare, and her three-year-old daughter, Iwinosa, but reportedly escaped from the juvenile home last Saturday.  The suspect and others at large had on December 9, 2015, allegedly murdered the victims at their residence on Osaze Street, in the Ikpoba Okha Local Government Area of the state.

The landlady of the house, where the incident occurred had earlier been arrested, but was later released after Gift (suspect) was arrested.  The teenager, who was said to be living with the landlady, had been arraigned before an Evbouriaria Magistrates’ Court but was remanded pending the advice of the Directorate of Public Prosecutions.  It was, however, learnt that he had yet to be brought before a court of competent jurisdiction, nearly four months after he was remanded at the juvenile home on January 25, 2016.

According to sources, Edosomwan and other suspect escaped when he and other inmates were brought out of their rooms to observe a morning routine.  The management of the facility was said to have begun a manhunt for the suspects. . It was, however, gathered that the suspects raised the alarm that they were being chased by cultists, which made those pursuing them to slow down.  The source said, “As they were being chased, they started shouting that they were being chased by cultists in order to cause a distraction.  “But Edosomwan was later apprehended at the house where he allegedly committed the crime while his accomplice was caught on the way.”  The murder suspect was said to have attempted to escape through the ceiling of one of the rooms, but was overpowered by the men, who took him back to the remand home.

“Some residents of the area called to say he was inside the house. They even said he was a threat in the area,” the source added.  When contacted, the Commissioner in charge of the Edo State Ministry of Women Affairs, Mrs. Jemitola Anena, referred our correspondent to the Director of Child Development, whom she identified as Mrs. Enahimion.  But Enahimion said she was not authorised to speak on the matter.  “Please direct your request to the PS (Permanent Secretary) of the ministry,” she said in a text message.

The permanent secretary, however, claimed that he could not hear punch correspondent when he was called on the telephone.  He had yet to respond to a text message sent to his mobile phone as of press time.

punch news

Rayo
Hi, My name is Mo-Rayo. You are welcome to my Blog where I dish out daily news ranging from politics, celebrity gist and gossip, health and fashion tips and lots more that you'd get to find out when you stick with me. I'm pretty simple, fun to be with, lover of adventure and other secret thigs like Indian songs. Welcome once again to my World

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.