(This page may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure.)
No fewer than 18 persons were brought out dead from the rubbles of a collapsed five storey building in Lagos State.
The building collapsed in the early hours of Tuesday at Lakki Phase 1 area of Lagos State.
The National Emergency Management Agency and the Lagos State Fire Service led the rescue operation.
Apart from the 18 persons that died, 13 were rescued from the rubbles, while over 70 are still believed to be trapped as at press time.
The building collapsed at about 3am.
A woman from Benin Republic and her children were said to be among the dead.
It was learnt that about 150 workers were brought in late last week for work on the building, which was initially meant to be a three storey building.
Those trapped as at press time included the wife and children of one of the workers from Benin Republic.
The General Manager the Lagos State Building Control Agency, Shola Adeigbe said on the collapsed building: “I learned that there was an approval for the building from the district officer.
“The materials used for the construction are substandard.
“It was a foundation failure because it sank before collapsing.
“We’ll subject the entire building to structural stability test.
“The only thing now is to ensure that they construct with quality materials.”