(This page may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure.)
The iPhone 8 is perhaps Apple most anticipated phone since the original iPhone in 2007. Consequently leaks about this extensive redesign have been unparalleled, but now they have reached a new high…
Three alleged Foxconn employees have set Reddit into a frenzy with a thread that gave away extensive information about Apple’s upcoming 2017 iPhone and other products. Adding further spice, subreddit’s moderators confirmed they verified the identities of the posters with proper documentation and evidence.
New features includes
1. The new iPhone is called the ‘iPhone X’ (but it is unclear if this is a codename)
2. It looks most like the middle version in both these leaked images (I called it)
3. There is a new dual rear camera with vertical alignment
4. The front bezel will be thinner on the Y-axis
5. Test units have Touch ID under the glass “but performance and yield rates were not good”
6. No version is planned with a rear fingerprint scanner
7. AuthenTech’s long standing Touch ID capacitive touch module has been replaced
8. There will be Facial Detection and a Retina Scanner
9. And plural: “front facing camera modules”
10. RAM remains at 3GB like the iPhone 7 Plus
11. The aluminum unibody is replaced by “composite glass”
12. There’s wireless charging via a rear panel
13. It will again be “water resistant” (no word if the rating has increased)
14. There is no USB-C, Apple is sticking with Lightning
15. Production is indeed delayed
These points largely tally with a growing consensus of leaks, though there was no mention of the potential shape change to a longer, narrower display.
The Foxconn insiders also said we shouldn’t get excited about the more incremental iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S Plus refreshes that will also debut with the iPhone 8 / iPhone X.
They say both models will retain the same aluminum unibody, which rules out any major redesign and there also won’t be any wireless charging.