The Attorney General of the Federation and the Minister of Justice, Mr. Abubakar Malami, has declared that “hoodlums” wearing military uniforms may have shot Nigerian protesters campaigning against police brutality in Lagos.
About two weeks ago, protests calling for the disbandment of the special anti-robbery squad (SARS) took flight across the country.
Protesters converged on the tollgate for 13 days before they were forcefully dispersed by soldiers.
There were reports that some of the protesters were killed by the soldiers who stormed the tollgate on October 20, 2020,
but there are disparities in the number of casualties and no clear evidence has been produced.
The Attorney General of the Federation and the Minister of Justice, Mr. Abubakar Malami told reporters in Abuja yesterday,
that the matter was being investigated and there was a need to establish whether the shooting took place,
who was responsible and whether the people who were shooting were part of the military.
“You cannot rule out the possibility of perhaps hoodlums that set in to create a scene… could equally partake in the process,”
Malami said at the news conference, which was also attended by government officials including the defence minister
and finance minister.
He also said it was “pre-emptive” to conclude that there had even been a shooting.
Lagos state has ordered an investigation into the incident.
Last week the military said the Lagos state government asked the army to intervene to restore order, but soldiers did not shoot civilians.